Here is the mid-month update on what’s been accomplished by American Steam Railroad volunteers.
- The forging and machining of the 560 staybolts has been completed by our great volunteers, who have given many hours and days to this project. All the telltale holes have been drilled in the center of the staybolts, the next process is to sand blast all of them to remove mill scale so they can be welded into the firebox.
- Currently $1,357 has been raised for the welding in of the staybolts. Only $3,170 is needed before we can have boiler contractors strike an arc and start the process. Click here to sponsor one today and you’ll get a shutout in our next monthly video update.
- Various items were taken out of long term storage including the tender doors, grate shaker bars and mounts, lubricator lines for the stoker, a dead weight gauge tester, along with other various items.
- A light oil was applied to the grease cellar parts to help prevent rust, along with grease reapplied to the main driving axles.
- The feed water pipe from the tender was brazed to fix freeze damage.