Saturday proved to be an interesting and challenging day. Preparation began to remove the oil tank from the tender. The steam piping and electric cable was removed from the top of the tank and fittings installed for the salvage company to drain the oil.
It appears that four anchor bolts can be removed and the tank should be able to be lifted out. The drawbars, drawbar pins and keepers were brought inside the roundhouse to clean them up and dye penetration test them. The main pistons were pulled completely back into the cylinders so inspection of the cylinder walls could be done. Dan Pluta started an inspection of the running gear and will continue with that next week. We removed the pressure relief valves, and installed the hydro test caps. The test pressure gauges are installed and the dynamo was put on the workbench to be cleaned up and tested. The dynamo ran smoothly, it was checked out, and the governor adjusted for the start up voltage.
The work schedule took a slight detour today. The water level in the boiler was about 5”-6” from the top of the boiler so we started to top off the water. At little time later, we found water in the pilot valve of the throttle body. Upon closer investigation we felt the water level had never reached the dry pipe cap so this is indicating we have a dry pipe leak which is likely the elbow coupling just below the steam dome. To try and stay on schedule with the hydro test next week and since it has to been done anyway, we decided to go ahead and lap in the throttle valve so it would seal closed. Disassembly of the throttle valve occupied the remainder of the day. The valve heads were opened and the pistons removed. The valve pistons needed some machining which will be done by next Saturday morning when reassembly can take place. Tools and parts have been ordered to help in reassembly. To keep on the hydro schedule: I plan on spending a day or two insulating the firebox, building a stand for the heater, making a cover plate for the stack, and doing some of the machining of the bolt studs, installing some that came out, and generally preparing the throttle body casting for assembly. We will start warming the boiler on Friday and prepare everything for maintaining water and pressure in the boiler and completing the hydro test. When the machined pistons arrive Saturday, we will lap them in as quickly as possible and assemble the throttle.
Upcoming Work Session Tasks:
The following tasks are planned for upcoming work sessions in September including:
- Clean and lap in throttle valve
- Complete a hydrostatic test and fix all detected leaks
- Install relief valves once hydro test is completed
- Drill and tap dry pipe cover for air test fittings
- Repair dry pipe leak – likely in the elbow coupler
- Remove dry plate cover once hydro test is completed
- Seal up steam dome
- Clean and lap boiler fill check valves
- Install the water injector
- Determine plumbing needs for the boiler
- Clean all journals and axle bearings, Clean up rods and linkages
- Start to polish linkage arms
- Secure linkage bolts and install cotter keys
- Pressure test lubricator output
- Clean up storage bay in auxiliary tender
- Pick up the stoker system that is currently in Canada
- Have our forklift delivered
- Remove oil tank from tender
- Determine what is needed to restore coal bunker
- Install stoker
- Remove red 3M adhesive reflective material on side skirts
- This list will rapidly change as things are going back together
- All work sessions start at 9:30 am.
- The next work sessions will be Saturdays 10 September, 17 September, and 1 October
- 24 September is a Midwest Open House and there will not be a work session that day.
- Crew Chief Hartschuh may need to take a day or two off in September to be a CVSR pilot for Steam in the Valley
Submitted by Gordon Hartschuh, Crew Chief